Newport News, Virginia (September 1, 2016) – Soluble Systems, LLC announces a significant contribution to healing smaller chronic wounds as well as cost effectiveness with the new 6 cm2 size. This will provide fast healing and wound closure to smaller wounds with increased savings in acquisition cost as well as favorable reimbursement. Approximately half of the estimated $600mm market of chronic wounds are 6 cm2 or less. Now, physicians can start smaller chronic wounds with TheraSkin® or follow the healing process from larger wounds to smaller wounds and closure with the same product that has proven efficacy in healing large and complex wounds.
A key factor in selecting advanced wound therapy is the total value proposition. The balance of clinical outcomes and cost effectiveness is a primary decision factor for product selection. The new 6 cm2 size provides a lower acquisition price and more favorable reimbursement than most comparable size competitive options. In addition, it offers chronic wound healing and closure. TheraSkin® provides human skin with living cells and the relevant characteristics needed for wound healing — twelve growth factors, sixteen cytokines and fourteen types of human collagen.
TheraSkin® is one of the fastest growing products in the advanced wound care market. The clinical outcomes and closure rates have been the drivers to the product’s growth. A retrospective clinical study of 188 consecutive patients published in Foot & Ankle Specialist demonstrated healing speed in wounds from 1 to 252 cm2. The quartile of diabetic wounds in the 1.38-3.18 cm2 group had 59.30% healing at 12 weeks and 70.59% at 20 weeks. The quartile of venous wounds in the 2.42-6.34 cm2 group healed at 71.60% in 12 weeks and 86.67% at 20 weeks(1).
TheraSkin® is a biologically active, cryopreserved human skin allograft for chronic wounds, large and small. It has a fully developed extracellular matrix (ECM) and living cells that provide an “at ready” supply of human growth factors, cytokines and collagen to jumpstart the wound healing process. TheraSkin® not only provides necessary growth factors and cytokines to treat chronic wounds of all sizes now, it also provides a large quantity of essential types of human collagens in appropriate ratios, to support healing. This allows TheraSkin® to also be used with more severe and complex wounds with exposed bone, tendon, joint capsule or muscle.
A peer-reviewed study was published in the April edition of WOUNDS and discussed at the Spring Symposium on Advanced Wound Care. (2)
- In the study, 93.3% of the complex and challenging wounds healed in an average of 133 days.
- From the initial graft application, granulation tissue was present in the wound bed in an average of 36 days.
- Wounds required an average of two grafts. The study provided further documentation to the clinical effectiveness of TheraSkin® in some of the most hard-to-heal wounds. This also reinforces the cost effectiveness of TheraSkin® from a health economic view point.
“TheraSkin® provides the complete value model in advanced wound care – chronic wound healing even in the most challenging wounds such as over exposed tendon, muscle and bone. In addition, TheraSkin® provides healing speed and wound closure with few applications. The clinical effectiveness is balanced in the value model by favorable reimbursement and probably the most cost effective major product in advanced wound care. Now it is available in a 6 cm2 size to better fit smaller wounds,” states Allan Staley, CEO Soluble Systems.
- Landsman A.et al, Retrospective Study of 188 Consecutive Patients with a Biologically Active Human Skin Allograft (TheraSkin®) for Diabetic Foot and Venous Leg Ulcers, Foot & Ankle Specialist, Feb. 2011. Volume 4, no 1:29-41
- The use of Cryopreserved Human Skin Allograft for the Treatment of Wounds with Exposed Muscle, Tendon and Bone, Wilson, et al; Wounds 2016;28(4):119-125
For more information on TheraSkin and Soluble Systems, LLC, visit www.solublesystems.com.
11830 Canon Blvd., Suite A
Newport News, VA 23606 Telephone: (757) 877-8899
Toll-free: (877) 222-2681
Fax: (757) 877-8870